Did you know that....
- Per capita income in South Korea in 1966 was $130.26. Per capita income in 2011 was $22,424.06.
- According to a report issued by the National Assembly Research Service in Seoul, Korea’s population will become completely extinct by 2750 if the country’s birth rate of 1.19 children per woman continues. The country currently has one of the lowest fertility rates in the world, leading only Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau and Singapore. Not everyone shares this concern, however. Read a blog by Stephan Sestanovich that gives another perspective.
- One in five South Korean women has had cosmetic work done, compared to about one in 20 American women, according to the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons. To learn more about what is behind this trend, read this article.
- The most watched YouTube video ever is "Gangnam Style" ( 강남스타일), by the South Korean musician Psy. Released in July 2012, it became the first YouTube video to reach one billion views in December of 2012. On December 1, 2014, YouTube announced that the song had broken the counter at 2,147,483,647 views, prompting the company to update its software to handle larger numbers.
- The new first lady of Maryland, Yumi Hogan, is the first Korean-American First Lady in the United States. To learn more about her journey to the governor's mansion in Annapolis, read this article from the Washington Post.